Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My God, How Wonderful Thou Are







My God, how wonderful Thou art
Thy majesty how bright!
How beautiful Thy mercy-seat
In depths of burning light!


How dread are Thine eternal years
O everlasting Lord
By prostrate spirits day and night
Incessantly adored!


How wonderful, how beautiful
The sight of Thee must be
Thine endless wisdom, boundless power
And awesome purity!


O how I fear Thee, living God
With deepest, tenderest fears
And worship Thee with trembling hope
And penitential tears!


Yet I may love Thee too, O Lord
Almighty as Thou art
For Thou hast stooped to ask of me
The love of my poor heart


No earthly father loves like Thee
No mother e'er so mild
Bears and forbears as Thou hast done
With me, Thy sinful child


Father of Jesus, love's reward
What rapture will it be
Prostrate before Thy throne to lie
And gaze, and gaze on Thee

Frederick W. Faber

No comments: